The Electrownia Dolna Odra power plant was built in the 1970s. The plant's operation started in 1974 and it was completely operational in 1977. The power plant contains six blocks with the total production capacity of 1362 MW of electricity and 100.81 MW of thermal energy. It is a conventional power plant with blocks of open cooling systems. The plant went through a comprehensive modernization program in the 1990s for its primary energy devices.